The Spiritual Aspects of Pornography
Presented by Bernie Anderson, April 6, 2016
Pastor Bernie Anderson shared his story of porn addiction, the devastation it brought to his marriage, and how he found recovery and healing by God’s grace.
He stressed that pornography destroys integrity, causes men to live a double life, and breaks you apart inside. Here are several lessons he learned while recovering from his porn addiction:
- Women are wired for intimacy. The betrayal is profound when they find out their husbands have been living a double life.
- God’s restoration and healing brings a man and a woman together.
- If you struggle with porn, take courage and start to talk about it. Please understand your wife is broken and hurting.
- I tell my daughters that they don’t find their dignity in the hands that want to touch them, but from the hands of the Almighty God who created them.
- I don’t care what you think of me. There is a God up above who thinks I’m pretty doggone special, and that’s enough for me.
Bernie Anderson is a pastor, and author of the book Breaking the Silence: A Pastor Goes Public about His Battle with Pornography.
In 2003 God brought about a powerful transformation in his life by breaking a long-time secret addiction to pornography while he served in full-time pastoral ministry. Prompted by a desire to help others and to call attention to porn’s devastating impact Bernie now openly shares his story.
Bernie is a known speaker on the problem of pornography and travels regularly to speak to groups in the US and abroad. He has been interviewed by Focus on the Family, Fox News’ On the Record with Greta Van Susteren, the Associated Press, Newsweek magazine, and ABC World News Tonight.
Bernie graduated with a Theology degree from Southwestern Adventist University, and a Masters of Divinity degree from Andrews University. Bernie is married to Christina, and they are raising three daughters: Madison, Brooklyn, and Liberty.